EBook users - Create a single story from multiple HTML pages

EBook users - Create a single story from multiple HTML pages

Postby Katelyn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Being an avid Uber story reader (in the thousands, I'm sure), I always wanted the ability to combine stories that were multiple HTML pages long. I am now able to do this in a number of eBook formats - MOBI, EPUB, LRF (Sony), IMP. In fact, I'm currently re-reading one of my all time favorites, Exposure: Seasons One, Two and Three. Harper and Kelsey make me smile and laugh out loud. Jeez, that is good writing! I was able to combine each 24-episode season into a single "book" complete with hyperlinks to each episode.

I am going to write up instructions on how to achieve this if anyone is interested since I don't know if it's appropriate to post all the info here. Nothing is illegal, I promise! It just takes a free program or two depending on the file type you need. If you're interested, send me a PM or an email with the format you are interested in.
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
My many readers over the years...
Jointech JE-100, Pocketbook 360
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Re: EBook users - Create a single story from multiple HTML pages

Postby Bardeyes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Katelyn, you may post the instructions and links to the associated programs here if you'd like.
Bardeyes
Site Admin

Create a single story from multiple HTML pages

Postby Katelyn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:07 pm

I know this looks like a lot of work but it takes longer to explain than to do, I promise. If you're still interested but are gun shy, email me and I’ll walk you through it. I provide PC support all day long so I’m pretty good at it.

The following walkthrough will work for the eBook formats: LRF (Sony) MOBI and EPUB. At the moment Calibre has full support for the SONY PRS 500/505/700, Cybook Gen 3, Amazon Kindle 1 and 2 as well as the iPhone. In addition, using the Save to disk function you can use it with any ebook reader that exports itself as a USB disk.

If you want to get books/stories to an Iphone let me know and I will explain how to configure Calibre for that.
If you want information about doing this for IMP files (GEB1100, GEB1150, REB1200, REB1250), just let me know.

Download and install Calibre. A wonderful site for all things eBook is Mobileread. Go to the forums for a plethora of info, tips, reviews, suggestions, etc. Here, you will find a Calibre forum as well as a discuss of every reader, the Iphone, PDAs - anything you could read an ebook on. This FAQ page might help if you want to learn more about Calibre.

OK, on to the walkthrough...

Find the story you want to convert into one single file.

1. Once you find the multiple-page story you want, save each HTML page to your PC by clicking File > Save As... Save as type: Web Page, HTML Only.
I usually just save to the Downloads folder inside My Documents folder.

In order to convert a collection of HTML files in a specific order, you have to create a table of contents file. That is, another HTML file that contains links to all the other files in the desired order. Such a file looks like:

<html>
<body>
<h3>Table of Contents</h3>
<p style="text-indent:0pt">
<a href="./katelyn_samplepage1.html">Part One</a><br/>
<a href="./katelyn_samplepage2.html">Part Two</a><br/>
<a href="./katelyn_samplepage3.html">Part Three</a><br/>
<a href="./katelyn_samplepage4.html">Part Four</a><br/>
<a href="./katelyn_samplepage5.html">Part Five</a><br/>
</p>
</body>
</html>

2. Copy the text above and paste it into Notepad. Save this file as book.txt in the same folder as the downloaded HTML files. Keep this file open for now.

3. Open the folder where the HTML files were saved and locate these files. Copy the first file name, (e.g., kimpritekel_asyouwish1.html). Go back to the Notpad text file you just created and replace the first line of HTML.

EXAMPLE:
You are changing this <a href="./katelyn_samplepage1.html">Part One</a><br/>
To (for example) <a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish1.html">Part One</a><br/>

As you can see, only part of the file name needs to change since the rest of the code remains the same. It saves a lot of typing id you just change the file name up to the page number, e.g., copy katelyn_samplepage and paste it before the pages number on each line - katelyn_samplepage1.html, katelyn_samplepage2.html, etc.. Obviously, you have to be sure the naming convention is consistent for each page.

In case this confuses you, here is what I would use to create a single book from As You Wish (10 HTML pages long)

<html>
<body>
<h1>Table of Contents</h1>
<p style="text-indent:0pt">
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish1.html">Part 1</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish2.html">Part 2</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish3.html">Part 3</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish4.html">Part 4</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish5.html">Part 5</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish6.html">Part 6</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish7.html">Part 7</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish8.html">Part 8</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish9.html">Part 9</a><br>
<a href="./kimpritekel_asyouwish10.html">Part 10</a><br>
</p>
</body>
</html>

Add or delete <A href> lines to match the number of HTML pages in your story.

3. Once these changes are completed, save the Notepad file with the name of the story into the SAME FOLDER as the downloaded files. Locate this saved file and change the .TXT extension to .HTML. You will get a pop-up warning that changing the extension may make the file unusable. Answer YES you want to change it.

Now, you’ll want to check the file to confirm the formatting is correct. (If you followed the steps above, it should work!)

4. Double click the newly created HTML file and it will open in a Web page. You should see something line this -

Table of Contents
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

etc.

Only “Table of Contents” should be plain text and Part 1, Part 2, etc. will be hyperlinks. If something looks wrong, you need to check or edit your formatting. Just change the .HTML back to .TXT and open the file again.Check the specific line of code that looks suspect for any errors. It can be as simple as the first HTML page was named 01 and you forgot to add the 0 (samplepage01.html VS samplepage1.html)

Once you think the file is ready, remember to have it in HTML format before moving it to Calibre.

5. Open Calibre and connect your reading device to your PC via a USB cable. It will be recognized by Calibre and will become visible in the Library window.
If you need to get your books to your device by other method, PM me or email me. I can give you specifics.
(Caliber's newest versions allows you to email the book to your device with the click of a button! I haven't reied it yet and am reading the how-to in the Mobileread Calibre forums but that will be very cool.)

6. Add the HTML file (drag or use the Add button). When the file is added to Calibre, it is converted into a zipped file.

CALIBRE:
1. Once the file is in Calibre, select the output file type (in the top right area of the window to the right of the heart). I suggest EPUB or MOBI.
Here is a screenshot that might help.

2. Click on the meta data tab to edit the author, file name, etc.

3. Click Convert EBooks.

4. Once the books conversion has been completed, click View. You can now test the hyperlinks to confirm they work.

If all goes well, you can now click Send to Device and the "book" will be sent to your reader.

I hope someone finds this useful. Save a tree, use an eBook reader!
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby heinerway » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Katelyn. :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:

I've found your post and your instructions really useful. And it's easy. Again, thank you very much. :winking2:
heinerway

Postby Katelyn » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm glad you found it useful. I've only heard from one other person who tried it and she also found it fairly easy to do. I was afraid no one really cared to try it.

One additional tip...when I'm ready to use an existing file to make another book, I run a REPLACE (in notepad, EDIT > REPLACE) on the part that needs to be changed instead of highlighting the old file name and pasting the new name. It's especially useful when you are making a book with of a lot of hyperlinks.

Feel free to contact me if you ever help.
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby The Rev » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for posting this! I've been using Calibre for a couple years now and absolutely love it. I recently switched to the Sony PRS-600 from the 505. The screen contrast is a little lacking but the note taking and handwriting features made the switch worth it. I run the fan fiction review site fanficrev.blogspot.com so I like to make notes while reading and, sometimes, even write my reviews using the stylus and the drawing feature right on the reader.

Anyway, I've spent countless hours copying and pasting into a word processing program and then converting the files to lrf or epub for use on my reader. I did Exposure that way so you know how long that must have taken! I'm always a bit intimidated to try out code but your instructions seem pretty clear and straight forward - I'll be trying it today.

Thank you so much! I can't imagine how much time you've saved me. I'd been sticking to work posted on pdafiction.com because of the time saving factor but now I won't have to.
Looking for fanfic reviews? http://www.fanficrev.blogspot.com or reviews for published lesbian fiction? http://www.lezficrev.blogspot.com - if you're in the mood to listen, check out Cocktail Hour the podcast http://www.cocktailhour.c-spot.net
The Rev

Postby Katelyn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 pm

I can't believe you manually created a book out of Exposure! I created a book from that story and I think it took me a total of maybe 15 minutes - including the time it took to save all the pages. I used to read a converted story then delete it from my reader but when I decided to start rereading favorites, I got smart and started copying my converted stories to an external hard drive. I must have a couple hundred saved by now. I also watch the calendar for the monthly releases of ebooks from Bella, Boldstrokes, and Intaglio. I even buy ebooks that started out as online stories on this and other Uber sites to support the authors. It's a way to thank them for keep us all happy readers!

If you have any questions at all just send me an email or PM me. I've communicated with a number of women via email and they've all had good luck with this process.
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby Katelyn » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 pm

For those of you who like to combine html pages to make a single "book" or file, there is a new application that makes this easier.

iterati is a small and easy to use program that allows you to combine multiple html pages into one, single file.

I can't post a screen-shot but this is what the iterati window looks like.

1) Save your html pages.
2) Launch iterati.
3) In the Input section click add and browse to your files to drop them into the input section. You can select all the files and add them at once.
4) For the Output file, browse to the location where you want the output file saved and type in whatever you want name the file - remember to end with .html.
5) Click merge and voila! You now have one seamless file instead of mutilple pages.

If you need to convert the html file to another format for an ereader, you can use Calibre to convert the file. Whichever process you use, happy reading!

As always, PM me if you want me information or need help.
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby Paquin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 am

Inspired by your clear advice, Katelyn. I have just ordered my first ebook reader and I shall be trying out your methods of converting html pages to ebooks. Thank you for these posts. The iterati looks simple enough even for me to try out.
Paquin

Postby Katelyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am

Paquin wrote:Inspired by your clear advice, Katelyn. I have just ordered my first ebook reader and I shall be trying out your methods of converting html pages to ebooks. Thank you for these posts. The iterati looks simple enough even for me to try out.

It's as simple as it looks! What did you buy? I have a collection of readers and am waiting for delivery of my first Android based MID (Mobile Internet Device) to use as a reader. I'm such a geek! :geek:
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby ukendt001 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the good advise - I've tried out iterati and I do agree it's real simple to use and in combination with Calibra it's a real valuable tool to create files in the relevant formats for off line reading - great. :applause:

I just encountered one small problem - when I've merged a number of html files the resulting combined file are saved in a format that can't be recognised. This is easily overcome by adding the correct format to the file name. This might just be a problem with my pc, but anyway don't let this scare anyone, the Iterati and Calibra works real well and are easy to use.

UK
"All people smile in the same language"
ukendt001

Postby Katelyn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm

ukendt001 wrote:I just encountered one small problem - when I've merged a number of html files the resulting combined file are saved in a format that can't be recognised. This is easily overcome by adding the correct format to the file name. This might just be a problem with my pc, but anyway don't let this scare anyone, the Iterati and Calibra works real well and are easy to use.

UK
I would guess you have file extensions turned off. If that's the case, you have to type .html at the end of the file name or your PC doesn't know what kind of file it is.
Katelyn
EBook enthusiast
Currently using an IPad
Iphone 3G, Sony PRS-505
REB1200, GEB1150
Katelyn

Postby Paquin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Katelyn,

Sorry for the delay in the reply. I have ordered a Sony pocketbook ereader - I think the number is 300. I thought that would be a good place to start. I have already downloaded calibra onto my laptop in readiness! I shall be away next week and hopefully this will be my last trip lugging heavy tomes around. Your enthusiasm for ereaders is very inspiring and I am looking forward to getting some great fan fiction on my device.

Best wishes,

Paquin
Paquin

Postby Paquin » Fri May 28, 2010 8:46 am

Hi Katelyn,

I just wanted to let you know that I have been using both a file merging programme and the HTML page you posted to create ebooks from fanfiction for my reader. Brilliant! :applause:

Thank you!

Paquin
Paquin

Postby Blu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Oh shiny! Thanks for taking the time to write this. I just got my nook and was just sitting here getting ready to tackle learning how to do this. I'll be sticking with something small though rather than jumping right in with making Exposure an epub. I was convinced I was going to have to do it the long hard way. Thanks!
Blu

Postby chrissytaff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Katelyn,
Thanks so very much for instructing us technophobes with your well needed knowledge! From one crazed gottogetmyfixoffanfiction reader to another... much appreciated ;-)
I'm just waiting for the delevery of the new Amazon Kindle 2nd gen and wondered if your tips would work for that?

Cheers and happy reading
Chrissy

Chrissytaff
chrissytaff

Postby qulivaan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:30 am

How long do people expect to wait for an ebook once they paid? When someone buys an ebook online, and pays for it online such as by using PayPal, how long does the customer expect to have to wait for their ebook to get sent to them? Do they expect to get it that day?
Last edited by qulivaan on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
qulivaan

Postby dakota86 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:21 am

Any ebook I have bought I received it immediately just like an email
dakota86

Postby nevergrowup » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 am

Just a quickie

I have Amazon Kindle on my phone (Samsung Galazy Apollo)

Would this work for this? For those annoying times when I can't get 3G or WiFi
nevergrowup

Postby taylorbaynton » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I will write up on how to achieve this goal shows that if someone is interested, because I do not know if it's for all of the information published here. Nothing is illegal, I promise! It just needs a free program or two according to the type of file you need. If you are interested, please give me a PM or e-mail format you are interested in.

I just encountered a small problem - when I merge multiple HTML files combined file is an unrecognised format. Add the correct file name format, it is very easy to overcome. This might just be my computer problem, but in any case, do not let this scare, Iterate really easy to use and calibration work.
taylorbaynton

Next

Return to Fiction Discussion