10s

10s

Postby dandylion » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:41 pm

I thought I might start a quick Top 10 thread. I know it's ridiculous to narrow down to the top 10 favorites so think of it more as the 10 that come to your mind straight away. The ones you must have read a dozen times over. Take the pressure off yourselves.... so here goes, apologies if some aren't posted on Athanaeum but I've been reading X/G since it all started and I couldn't begin to seperate out where I read them:

1. Shaken - KG MacGregor
The whole series is superb but Shaken is a disaster fic AND a romantic comedy and I'm a lover of both genre...the line about being 'caught dead in a bridal store.' has to have been my biggest LOL to date and the series as a whole made me want to buy a BMW X5, to this day I see them on the street and smile with fondness.

2. None So Blind - LJ Maas
Probably one of the earliest stories I read that had me reading all night, all morning, day, evening and night again until I had finished it, the most spellbinging of reads. I could gush about it forever...

3. The Hapless Romantic - Creme Brulee
An adorable story in which uber Xena is completely loveable and relentlessly romantic. Very sweet little story.

4. Strings Attached - Inyx
A backwards story involving pregnancy and trying to convince people that you are not dating your best friend. I promise you, get past the fact there is an inkling of het sex in the first four lines and you've found yourself a funny and heart-warming story.

5. Insight, Emotion & Realisation - Idryth
Classic uber X/G, Sam is a cop who is everyones stoic hero and Kris is the little imp always finding trouble. Together they resist and ignore the intense attraction between them and it sizzles!

6. The Brass Ring - or just about anything by Mavis Applewater
The Brass Ring is one of her longer stories and length is certainly important. Mavis rocks my world. It's a short affair, a break up and then a loooonnnng drawn out get-back-together-again, definately my favourite kind of story.

7. Not A Romantic Bone - L.A. Tucker
It's a simple walk in the park but by the end, I'm in love!

8. Lessons or Control or Wild - Kim Pritekal
All of KP's stories should be read. These 3 in particular are excellent, falling in love with your ex-babysitter, with a girl who is as prickly as a rosebush, and a girl who has raised herself pretty much living in a bush.

9. Fragments - Grit Jahning
A long old story that puts you through the ringer. In this one, Xena and Gabrielle meet when Xena is 15 and Gabrielle is a toddler, and spans nearly 15 years. This sometimes reminds me of a lesbian Gladiator, not sure why, but read it and tell me if you agree. Definately worth your time.

10. Ignorance is Bliss- Carola Eriksson and Flea - Lois Cloarec Hart
I've combined two for my last pick because as I remembered the story about Dash the lesbi-turtle I also remembered Flea the lesbi-guardian. Both are cute stories told from the perspective of two very different creatures. I dare you not to fall completely in love with Dash and want to go buy yourself a coupla turtles!

That's it, that's my list. I have a trillion other stories floating in my head that I adore so one day I may do another '10'.

I :heart: this forum.
dandylion

Re: 10s

Postby Bardeyes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Hey there, dandylion.

I've added Idryth's Kris and Sam Series that you mentioned in #5. They can be found on Idryth's Author Page.
We'll see about adding the rest soon. :happy:

And I just had to say that we really are delighted that everyone is really enjoyed the new forum, not to mention the new ratings. :purr:

Until later,
Bardeyes
Bardeyes
Site Admin

Postby JS_Connolly » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Good topic, I posted a list of my favorites a long time ago at one of my groups but it has way more than ten..closer to 20, so if I had to pick ten off that list it would be the following.

The Story of Me by Advocate - I just think it's the most brillant, original story ever written and funny as hell, and Blayne is just incredible. I am in awe of her talent. :not worthy:

Castaway by Advocate and Fanatic - Beyond hillarious :ROTFL:

Madam President by Advocate and T.Novan - My second favorite coming out story...cute, romantic, and funny.

Finding My Way by Mavis Applewater - My favorite coming out story and my introduction to the wonderful world of Uber Fan Fiction and the amazing Miss M. :not worthy:

The Brass Ring by Mavis Applewater - Sweet, romantic, funny and with that "I can't believe she did that" :shock: touch that Mavis has perfected to an art form...and if you don't know what I mean by that you haven't read Mavis or enough of Mavis.
But it's always worth the wait...after all it does gives us time to find a nice big iceberg for the finish :ROTFL:

My Sisters' Keeper by Mavis Applewater - (See above) A nun a cop and forbidden love...it's the lesbian Thorn Birds people with a happier ending.

Merridio's Daughter by L.J. Maas - God bless her...a true genius who honored all of us by sharing her work with us. She will always be sorely missed and an inspiration to me. :not worthy:

Journey's End by L.J. Maas - The only Conqueror story I've read that truly touches on where I believe the character would be at this point in her life if she hadn't made that stop in Potedia. A Xena that is still a force to be reckoned with but wiser, gentler and at times adorably awkward plus the hot factor is off the charts.

Tumbleweed Fever by L.J. Maas - A sweet, funny and romantic set in the Old West.

The Light Fantastic by L.A. Tucker - A homerun for the first time author. Very funny but also very touching and I love every single character but especially Sara who's struggle to rejoin the world and have a real relationship with Chloe is awkward, funny, moving, and sweet. I won't say what the struggle is about but the girl's been through the ringer...you'll have to read it to find out what I mean and it's worth it...you won't be sorry.

So that's my top ten list and my three favorite authors all in one. If you haven't given any of them a read I urge you to do so you'll be better for the experience.

JSC
JS_Connolly

Postby jt » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Don't think I could narrow it down to 10 stories, but several authors come to mind
as absolute geniuses:

Missy Good-love the Dar & Kerry series
KG MacGregor-all KG's works are great, especially enjoy the Shaken series
Kim Pritikel-enjoy many of her works
Ali Vali-can't wait for the next book in the Devil Series. all her stuff is great
Carrie Carr-Lex and Amanda stories,
JM Dragon-Define Destiny series
Anne Azel-Seasons and Dead series
LJ Maas-loved None So Blind, and Rebecca's Cove, for starters
KD Bard--Commitment series
Lois Kay-Reef Series

No necessarily in that order, and definitely not all of my favorites;
just a few that popped into my head right off the bat. As you can see,
I'm a Uber/Original type reader, and I love series; though there are
some great stand alone authors out there, too. Gerri Hill comes to
mind.

Keep the list going.

jt
jt

Postby DKG » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:56 am

dandylion wrote:
9. Fragments - Grit Jahning
A long old story that puts you through the ringer. In this one, Xena and Gabrielle meet when Xena is 15 and Gabrielle is a toddler, and spans nearly 15 years. This sometimes reminds me of a lesbian Gladiator, not sure why, but read it and tell me if you agree. Definately worth your time.

Uhhh...I found a fic of this title by this author, but it's vastly different to the description. I would, however, love to read what's been described, cos it's sounds pretty damn cool. Any hints on what it's called or where to find it?
DKG
DKG

Postby cesario » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:42 pm

It's Grit Jahning's "Falling" .
You can find it at the academyofbards.
link
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."
— Jorge Luis Borges
cesario

Postby M. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:23 pm

As I see many of my favourite stories / series have already been mentioned here I tried to think of some others that I really like but which are probably not so popular, or merely forgotten. Let’s see… in no significant order:

Annemaart’s Conqueror series: The Edge of Nowhere and Path of Thorns.
I find them actually quite hilarious and very different form other conqueror stories; with very lovable supporting characters.

The Exposure Series by a group of very talented writers (http://ausxip.com/exposure/index.html)
Uber. Reporter & Camerawoman are forced to work together. Sparks. Sparks. Sparks!

High Intensity by Bel-Wah. (Also as published book.)
A very interesting and seemingly well-researched story about climbing Mount Everest. Mind you, the mountain plays a quite a significant role in this story; more than just a backdrop to a romance. (And talking about mountain climbers: The Road From Kilimanjaro by KG MacGregor.)

Lucifer Rising by S.L. Bowers (http://www.ausxip.com/fanfiction/l/lucifer.html)
A nice story about a reporter and a drug lord, who is more that she seems… It can’t get more uber than that ;-)

Amicus Humanis Generis by SB Zarben. (Also published)
Sort of SciFi uber.

The wonderfully original stories by PsiDraconis. The third part is still in progress but also recently updated. The first – Adeptus Major – was published.

Seven Days in Pompei by DJWP – a wonderful XWP story. (
Here I must mention the uber Lost Soul Walking by the same author – very original, angsty but good!) DJWP’s stories can be found on the Academy or Ausxip

J.W. Heart’s Tracy & Shannon series.
A bit of angst at the beginning and a lot of humour later on. Very enjoyable, relaxing read.

Heart’s Choice by Lois Kay.
Nice original, romantic story, which takes place in Europe – Holland to be exact, if you’re interested in a somewhat different location… ;-)) (I must say here that the already mentioned Fragments by Grit Jahning is also very good but with lots of angst and charachter introspection. No light read but it's worth it a try... and again it plays on European turf - Germany.) Also Sam & Jody Series by the same author… actually I like all I have read so far by Lois Kay.

Nene Adams’ Sunne in Gold http://www.corrieweb.nl/sunne/sunne01.htm
and its sequel Sunne in Scarlet http://www.corrieweb.nl/sunne/sunne2_01.htm.
A Medieval tale. N. Adams has a very distinct style of writing, which offers a nice change. (Lots of Horror stories on her site if you're fan...)

Banshee’s Honor by sHaYcH
Fantasy. Quite long with more than just two very well-developed characters.

Aw bummer! More than 10 and I REALLY tried to limit myself as I can easily pick 10 more right off the top of my head... What can I say, I really enjoy what the talented bards offer us. :applause:

M.
M.

Postby darkenedkarma » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:49 pm

I've read all the top ten lists and many of them have titles that I've loved. So, I thought I'd offer my own. It's hard to limit myself to ten. If I actually wanted to do a proper list I'd split it up by Original, Uber and the different verses'. That would take entirely too much time. Not to mention, it would cause me to go back to read too many of them. I'd never get the lists finished.

Here they are:

1. Venezia by Vivian Darkbloom
2. The White Trash series by Vivian Darkbloom (You haven't read funny if you haven't read these.)
3. Untamed by Danae
4. The Broken Thread by Ella Quince
5. Bad Grammar by Phryne (This isn't listed on this site but I absolutely loved it. It's at Passion and Perfection. It's what got me reading BOP fanfiction)
6. Outcome by Kim Pritkel and Alexa Hoffman
7. Love's Rendition by Tradgedy88
8. Serveral Devils by ROCFanKat (I actually love the series, it's too funny. In fact, I have the published versions.)
9. Immortal Series by Redhawk
10. The Deal by M. Ryan
10A. Underneath it All by Janine (I had to include this one. Again it's not on this site but I've read it at least 10 times so I have to give the story props.)

Yes I know, it's more than 10..sort of.
darkenedkarma

Postby Kerowyn130 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 pm

My top ten in no particular order
1. Pretium Silenti (216 pages) by Spyrel
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/spyrel_p ... enti1.html
Probably one of the best character driven pieces out there overall and especially in the Conqueror genre. There's great dialogue where the silence speaks so profoundly well. Awesome Gabrielle characterization as a gladiator with a really well crafted vulnerability that's true to form for Xena.

2. Sad One by Verrath
http://www.futuremuse.com/xena/stories/sad_one.htm
My all time favorite story. I am really surprised this isn't on more lists. It's an awesome awesome piece that will wrench your heart and make you hurt long after you are done with the story. It's about Gabrielle many years after Xena's death, but don't worry there's a rather wistful and wonderful happy ending. All endings have beginnings.

3. Broken Thread by Ella Quince
I pretty much recommend all of Ella Quince's stuff but this one is by far my favorite. A very contemplative piece from Xena's POV. Gabrielle shows up but she's different. Saying more would be giving it away.

4.Serveral Devils by ROCFanKat
Great uber stuff. Hilarious story of what happens when your personal demons literally come out to play.

5. Lexicon for a Sunday Morning Sleeper by Vivan Darkbloom
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/vivian_d ... ftsms.html
I love everything by this bard but especially this one. It's in a really interesting format and yet despite or maybe because of the fragmented style, you get such emotional rawness. Part of the Uber Danny/Kate series.

6. Venezia by Vivian Darkbloom
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/vivian_darkbloom_v.html
A dreamy melancholy walk down a memory lane that isn't. Mel wanders through Venice after Janice's death and runs into a young girl who could be Janice's twin.

7.SEVEN DAYS IN POMPEII by DJWP
http://lunacyreviews.com/alts_e.php#Sev ... In_Pompeii
G/X meet Sappho who is probably the most intriguing original character I've ever read. I was positively charmed.

8.TROPICAL STORM - by Missy Good
http://www.merwolf.com
Pretty much the whole Dar and Kerry series are awesome. I doubt it even needs a summary since it seems to be THE uber of ubers. Funny, quick action plot. I really really loved this. It had me laughing and cheering our heroines.

9. Conqueror Series by LJ Maas
http://www.ausxip.com/fanfiction/conque ... ueror.html
A unique take on an older mellower Xena the Conqueror and Gabrielle as a love slave.

10. And Playing the Role of Herself... by dabkey
http://xenafiction.net/scrolls/dabkey_aptroh1.html
The two characters have really wonderful chemistry with one another and a lot of what they go through is very realistic.

Caid Harris is an ex beer commercial actress who?s made it to the big time and can?t believe her luck. A plum role on a hot new cop show has Caid sharing her once private life with a horde of press and media, sharing the screen with a temperamental southern belle who she calls friend, and sharing her trailer with a leggy brunette who leaves her tongue-tied, slightly off-center, and just a little breathless. And the roller coaster ride that took Caid from a beer hawking ?Balentine Babe? to the role of tough cop Rita Stone gets even more interesting when the show?s creator wants to push the envelope and decides Caid is just the woman to do it.
Kerowyn130

Postby lyneX » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 pm

It's hard to just list 10 of all the one's I've been through....

10: The Growing - Susanne Beck, TNovan & Okasha ( even though I'm not a huge fan of the sci-fi stuff )
9: Iditarod - Redhawk
8: La Metropolian - RJ Nolan ( + the stories that belong to this one )
7: Control - Kim Pritekel w/ Alexa Hoffman
6: Amazonia Book 1 & 2 - Ali Vali ( A.Valdivia) Ali's other stories are all good too
5: I Found My Heart In San Fransisco - SX Meagher
4: Driven - Susanne Beck & TNovan
3: Madam President - Advocate & TNovan ( First Lady kinda belongs with this )
2: Tropical Storm - Melissa Good ( the rest of the Dar&Kerry book too )
1: Exsposure - XWPFanatic & TNovan
lyneX

Postby pippinfluff » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:50 am

These are my ten favourites- 1 All larisa's stories, 2 All Ali Vali's Stories, 3 Carrie Carr's Lex & Amanda series, 4 All Anne Azel stories, 5 All Aurelia's stories, 6 All Colleen's stories, 7 All Vertigo's stories, 8 All G. S. Binkley's stories, 9 Playing The Role Herself- Dabkey, 10 All R J Nolan stories especially Double Trouble which is no longer on line, But there are thousands more i love just as dearly. Donna
pippinfluff

Postby manu79 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:06 am

My top 10s (just 10's ? :sad2: ),here we go:
1.Caution: under construction - Vertigo: wonderful,sweet,sexy and funny;
2.Untitled:The story of me -Advocate: I've never laugh so much in my life,simply wonderful;
3.None so blind - LJ Maas : incredible,sweet and tender;
4.Twilight - Kim Pritekel : sweet,intense,great ;
5.The Brass Ring - Mavis Applewater :Sweet, romantic, funny;
6.My sister's keeper : Mavis Applewater : funny,romantic,great ! ;
7.Tie break - Bonnie : a wonderful love story in the tennis' world;
8.And playing the role of herself - Dabkey: romantic,sexy,funny ;
9.Just one of Those Things - Mavis Applewater : sexy and very romantic;
10.(Last but not least) Full moon - Kim Pritekel : sexy,romantic,intense.
manu79

Postby jumper23 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:02 pm

So I've decided to throw my two cents in after going through everyone elses lists and bookshelving all the ones I haven't read yet. Apologies for any repeats!

1. My Lord Series by Mayt. For me, this is hands down the best conqueror series on the web. Or anywhere for that matter since I don't think we'll be finding these stories in paperback anytime soon.
2. Passions Bright Fury by Radclyffe. Really, anything by this author is pretty much golden.
3. Redemption and it's sequals by Sword 'n Quill. This is the first Uber I ever remember reading. It was many years ago. It's still one of my favorites.
4. And Playing the Role of Herself... by Dabkey. Okay. I KNOW this one is already on here several times. It really is that good though.
5. The Collector by Kim Pritekel. One of very few stories that I can say actually had me on the edge of my seat trying to catch my breath at moments.
6. Thin Frames by Dax. Probably my favorite SVU story to date.
7. Crystal's Heart by BL Miller. Yeah, called in sick to finish this one back in the day. Would do it again in a heartbeat!
8. Driven by Susanne Beck and T. Novan. These two should really just quite whatever careers they have and write together full time!
9. The Longest Night by Melissa Good. Okay, it's a story right in the middle of a series. The whole series is must read, but this is my favorite in it.
10. The Light Fantastic by LA Tucker. Comedy and romance done really good.
jumper23

Postby mec » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:51 pm

Now here's a thread that I'll be following. :big grin:

I've only recently stumbled onto this site and I've been working my way through a number of authors/stories - I may actually have overloaded my brain with uber if that is possible.

It's probably too early for me to pick a "top ten", but some of the pieces that have stuck with me:

Iron Rose Bleeding by Anne Azel. I have enjoyed all of her stuff so far - but reading it over a short time span makes me feel like I'm watching the Discovery Channel - she is very detailed and well researched. This particular piece struck me as one of the most inventive uber stories with a rather intriguing s/f twist.

The Seduction of Laura by S Anne Gardener - This one was darkly disturbing and almost a welcome relief after reading too many angsty love stories. Dark but captivating.

Castaway by Advocate and Fanatic. Holy crap - this was absolutely hilarious. I loved this one. Definitely satire at its best. I still laugh when I think about it. They skewered fanfic and reality tv perfectly.

The Conqueror Series by LJ Maas - All of this authors stuff is good - this one stands out because its one of the few X/G stories I've read.

In All the Empty Places by Janeen Brownell - I liked the atomosphere in this one and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her pieces

Redemption/Retribution/Restitution by Susanne M. Beck. Probably the first uber series I read and I found it loads of fun. What's not to like - humour, friendship, adventure, romance, danger, violence, angst and some rather steamy scenes . All set in a women's prison.

I'm sure there are more ... and I'm sure I'll enjoy sifting my way through the vaults finding them.
mec

Postby king » Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 pm

cc20180511
coach factory outlet
kate spade handbags
air jordan retro
coach outlet canada
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet online
nike outlet store
oakey sunglasses outlet