What is Your Pet Peeve?

Re: What is Your Pet Peeve?

Postby silverwriter01 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:14 pm

k_alexander wrote:What I've just recently realized is a peeve: Unsuitable language. It falls into the bigger category of "characterization", which said category I think should belong to me by squatter's rights since I've used the word so often.
It's a temptation to "upgrade" on one's vocabulary when writing, as you want to make things sound just a little bit more rounded, but very often that makes the dialogue absolutely dire for me. Point in case - a story I've just put down. I would have finished it, but for dialogue gems similar to the following: "Did you inform her of the erroneous nature of her belief?". Sure, some people do have a better vocab use than others, and I'm not saying they shouldn't utilize it fully (the only thing sexier than a smart word is someone who understands how to use it, in my opinion), but there's a difference. Not even a terribly educated person would phrase a sentence so stiltedly. "Did you tell her she was wrong?" takes less space and thought.

I understand what you're saying, K, but as always, :D , there are two sides to every story. Where I come from, we were taught to use smart words. It was pounded into us. If you didn't use smart words, you didn't make good grades...I often didn't make good grades in English... that is until I got to college where English became more about explaining Victor Frankenstein's incestuous desire then grammar. So in fairness to that writer, it was probably how they were taught to write. Still, while I enjoy learning new words, I don't like reading stories with a dictionary by my side.

As for giving characters male names, I believe that all names should be unisex. I have several characters with 'male' names, some are feminine and others are butch. I wouldn't change their names for the world because it suits them. Larisa is my idol when it comes to blurring the gender line between names...blurring all name lines for that matter. The only name that might stop me from reading a story is if the character has my own name. I just don't feel at ease. Luckily, my extremely feminine name is not often used.

My own pet peeve has to do with anatomy. There are several sex scenes where we learn that one of our ladies is a virgin. The nonvirgin lady will slide inside a few inches, find something blocking the way to fully claiming her love, say 'I love you', pierce the ['maidenhead', 'virginal veil', or aka the hymen], and giant orgasms occur.

I've read this in countless of stories, lesbian or otherwise. There is no 'veil' inside a woman. The hymen is located at the entrance of the vagina and it more a ring of tissue then a barrier. Can it tear, bleed, and hurt when first entered? Yes but there is nothing inside a woman to pierce...And that is my pet peeve.
Me - "Quiz time!"
Student - "I ain't going to lie to you. I didn't pay attention to anything you were doing up there."
Me - "I noticed. Feel for you. Here's your quiz."
silverwriter01

Postby maddog » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Frankie wrote:
Otter wrote:I don't see this a lot in Xena fic, but when characters who are very American, suddenly call their mother 'mum'. Now, being Aussie, that's how I spell it myself, but I find it insanely distracting when I read it in fic with American characters (mostly in the Buffy-verse).

Does anyone on the other side of the world find it hard to read when words are spelt in Queen's English (colour, realise, gaol etc...)? Not that anyone actually spells jail as 'gaol' anyway, but...you get the idea...

Scotti wrote:For some reason it quite distracts me when I read the "English" spelling of American based fan fiction, With s' replacing z's and the added u, I don't know why this annoys me so but it does. It's not as if it incorrect. Also using English vernacular, but I guess writers are so used to spelling and using words and phrases that are common to them. I just tell myself its good to learn a new turn of the phrase, I can always use it on my European friends and hope they think I am well versed. Mark it up to being well read Otter. If it is ever your turn to try your hand at an "English" based fan fiction you can sneak in some Americanism to even the tally's.

Now, I have to admit, when I first read these posts, I was a little peeved.

Fortunately, I had to go out, and in the meantime my ruffled feathers had time to settle down. After all, if I was to pick a top peeve, it would probably be American writers making me cringe with their depictions of/dialogue for English or other European characters. (Also, totally unrealistic naming of English characters, although this isn’t just a fanfic thing, there was a recurring character on CSI: NY called Payton and every time she appeared, I’d just shake my head and think ‘An English woman called Payton, I thought this show had lots of researchers, couldn’t they do better than that?’)

So, I can hardly criticise anyone else for having equivalent feelings about the efforts of English writers, but…

… there have been some very even-handed defences of things listed as pet peeves on this thread, so in the spirit of this, I hope you’ll permit me two points…

One. Please bear in mind that unless you’ve spent a lot of time in America, it’s actually pretty hard to know which descriptors, phrases, even grammatical points, are particularly ‘English’ and would instantly stand out to an American as, well, not American. Of course, there are famous examples of words with different meaning (e.g. pants, fanny, bum, pissed etc.), and thanks to pop culture English people probably know American idioms better than Americans know English ones, but, even so, you write with the language you speak and if you’re an English writer, you naturally going to write not just using English spelling, or English words, but using an English style (even if you’re intending to be all-American!). I suppose, you may be thinking, ‘but if this is an American story, surely they should just find an American beta to correct any errors?’ My feelings on this would be, yes, this would probably be a good idea in order to write ‘believable’ American dialogue (thus keeping Mums out of America), or of you need someone to point out things like, ‘Use the word Laundromat, not Laundrette’ or ‘Say parking lot, instead of car park’, or if you want to pull a Hugh Laurie and fool the reader into believing you are American. But what if you don’t want to pull off Laurie, or like me, you know you couldn’t if you tried, because English idioms are an integral part of your narrative voice? Should a storyteller change their language in order to fit their audience? I’m just trying to say, I don’t think an English writer should necessarily try to write like an American just because they write of America, anymore than I an American writing about France should write in French. Which leads me to point…

Two. Point Two is a question, and relates also to those who rank ‘bad grammar’ as their pet peeve. Does variation make us richer or hinder communication? The World Wide Web is a fantastic tool of communication, and it functions at its best when language is standardised, because this enables communication to be global, or at least to head in that direction. If your aim, then, is to communicate your story to the greatest number of people, then, in the case of the Athenaeum, your best bet is to use the language of the majority, i.e. standardised American spelling and grammar. On the other hand, it can definitely be argued that TV, the web and other forms of mass media accelerate the rate at which regional and national cultural variation is eroded. As you can probably guess, I quite like identifying as English, rather than America (and I’ve lived in America, so I’ve had plenty of practice), but, as my Mum loves to remind me, thanks to TV, books etc. the language I use sounds a lot closer to American than someone of her generation. My Mum thinks this is a loss; I’m inclined to agree, except when she’s correcting my grammar ;-) . I consider the people who use this forum and open-minded sort of bunch, so this is my pitch for openness towards linguistic variation. I include ‘bad grammar’ in this pitch. Hear me out! When people write in a manner which might be considered grammatically incorrect, it is usually because they are writing the way they speak. We all speak differently; we use different phonetics, we use different idioms, we use different grammar. If someone uses a ‘simplified’ form of grammar and can still communicate effectively, you could argue that that is smarter not dumber than using the standardised form (Warning: Do not try this argument with your teacher). I will concede that if your grammar is so divergent from the standardised form that your writing is incomprehensible, then clearly there is an issue, but, generally speaking, this is not the level of divergence I’m talking about. The rich dialects of England are dying out, in part because they include forms of English which widely considered wrong and therefore, stupid. Where I come from the use of the form ‘I was stood’ is commonly used rather than ‘I was standing’, although this is ‘wrong’ according to standardised English grammar. Sometime I use it when I’m writing and then agonise over whether or not to change it. It is ‘my voice’, but I don’t want people thinking I’m stupid. If this is a forum for people to explore their voices as authors, we shouldn’t get peeved when people use their own voice, even if their ‘accent’ differs from ours, in fact, we should welcome it.

Ok. Here ends my little soap box moment.
I am so glad you had a chance to simmer down! ;-) Just kidding. I find that I'm inclined to agree with you in general terms. But for making my case in this discussion about colloquialisms, I'd be inclined to focus on how they are used in fanfiction.

I tend to prefer fanfiction that is as true to the characters as I've come to know them. Granted, there is increasingly more leeway, the further one gets from regular story-line fanfiction, (ie: alternate realities, uber, etc), but my attention is immediately distracted when I hear a character say something that they would never say within the confines of their setting. Since my first love was the Star Trek: Voyager pairing, J/7, the best example I can come up with is hearing Captain Janeway respond thusly: "I should have done". That is not Captain Janeway and it grates on my nerves.

I'm all for an author wielding his or her "voice" when writing an original story or an uber where their foundation is familiar to them, but when it comes to fanfiction, I expect to hear the characters' voices.

Ok, I'm new here so, would now be a good time to mention how much I love and am glad that I found this site ? :blushing:
maddog

Postby k_alexander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:27 am

silverwriter01 wrote: I understand what you're saying, K, but as always, :D , there are two sides to every story.

Just for this I love you (but not in a creepy stalkerish way). There's a good reason why my friends all begin to parrot "but on the other hand" the moment I get involved in an argument.

silverwriter01 wrote:Where I come from, we were taught to use smart words. It was pounded into us. If you didn't use smart words, you didn't make good grades...I often didn't make good grades in English... that is until I got to college where English became more about explaining Victor Frankenstein's incestuous desire then grammar. So in fairness to that writer, it was probably how they were taught to write. Still, while I enjoy learning new words, I don't like reading stories with a dictionary by my side.

You do have a point, Silver - I went to the same type of educational facility... However, it now also makes sense to me that this may be more prevalent in younger writers. It could perhaps be that they think using a more formal tone will make the writing seem more mature. I know that I once did this too :)
However, I'm listing it as a pet peeve, and not necessarily something that's incorrect. Some people may be able to read around it, but I find dialogue a very fine art, and even the slightest incongruencies will have me considering whether to stop reading. See, I love my grammar, but in this one instance I will (partially and selectively and interpretatively, anyway) support Frankie's statement: In my opinion, dialogue is almost the only place where one can get away with less structure and more "feel".
Also, the factor of character comes into play in this. The way in which a character speaks (words, phrasing, grammar) is such an important tool to tell the reader what type of person they're dealing with - dictionese* makes it very generic and takes away a crucial aspect of storytelling. But that's just my opinion, and there's always the other side ;)

*For lack of a short but precise way of explaining the concept, I decided making up a word would do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment?"
~Vita Sackville-West
k_alexander

Postby k_alexander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:32 am

maddog wrote:Ok, I'm new here so, would now be a good time to mention how much I love and am glad that I found this site ? :blushing:

Hi there maddog! Since I'm the first one here, I'll wish you a warm welcome and a glad to see you :)
"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment?"
~Vita Sackville-West
k_alexander

Postby AJMArks » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:17 pm

I might have mentioned it, but my two biggest pet peeves:

1. when a new person speaks, create a new paragraph.
2. when transitioning between scenes create some sort of break, extra spacing, something to indicate that so I'm not suddenly trying to shift gears in the middle of a story.

I do have a third, but is more personal and something just about every writer does, throwing their political attitude into the story. Example, The main characters are suddenly bashing Bush or Obama and it has nothing to do with the storyline.
Simple as a flower, and that's a complicated thing!
AJMArks

Postby Frankie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:47 pm

maddog wrote:I tend to prefer fanfiction that is as true to the characters as I've come to know them. Granted, there is increasingly more leeway, the further one gets from regular story-line fanfiction, (ie: alternate realities, uber, etc), but my attention is immediately distracted when I hear a character say something that they would never say within the confines of their setting. Since my first love was the Star Trek: Voyager pairing, J/7, the best example I can come up with is hearing Captain Janeway respond thusly: "I should have done". That is not Captain Janeway and it grates on my nerves.

I'm all for an author wielding his or her "voice" when writing an original story or an uber where their foundation is familiar to them, but when it comes to fanfiction, I expect to hear the characters' voices.

Ah, yes, well, I'm inclined to agree with you about this, after all, there's a difference between narrative voice and dialogue. Dialogue comes from the character's mouth, so it is important to make it sound authentic to the setting (period, location etc), especially if you've chosen to write fanfiction, as the character's manner of speech will have already been established. If a story is written in the first person, then this extends to the narrative voice too, because the narrator is a character in the story. However, in a third person story, there is room for both authentic character dialogue and the author's narrative voice, which will be present in the descriptive text, but also in the way in which the story is pitched and plotted.

k_alexander wrote:You do have a point, Silver - I went to the same type of educational facility... However, it now also makes sense to me that this may be more prevalent in younger writers. It could perhaps be that they think using a more formal tone will make the writing seem more mature. I know that I once did this too
However, I'm listing it as a pet peeve, and not necessarily something that's incorrect. Some people may be able to read around it, but I find dialogue a very fine art, and even the slightest incongruencies will have me considering whether to stop reading. See, I love my grammar, but in this one instance I will (partially and selectively and interpretatively, anyway) support Frankie's statement: In my opinion, dialogue is almost the only place where one can get away with less structure and more "feel".
Also, the factor of character comes into play in this. The way in which a character speaks (words, phrasing, grammar) is such an important tool to tell the reader what type of person they're dealing with - dictionese* makes it very generic and takes away a crucial aspect of storytelling. But that's just my opinion, and there's always the other side

Writing dialogue that sounds natural is indeed a very fine art. I suppose the trick lies in the jump from actual speech to reported speech. When you listen to 'raw' speech, it's full of 'ums', 'ahs', 'sort ofs', 'I means', 'likes', 'you knows', pauses and unfinished sentences, but when an author 'reports' speech they almost always cut most of this out for clarity and brevity. In this 're-cutting' the author essentially reforms the dialogue and, when they get it right, it reads so naturally in the head, that you can believe it to be 'actual' speech. Sometimes, when I read fanfiction, I notice when a writer gets the dialogue spot-on - suddenly I can really hear the characters speaking. I'm always impressed by this, because, I'm afraid, I probably fall into the category of writers who elevate their language too far when writing and end up with 'unnatural' dialogue. Of course, unnatural dialogue can work really well, for example in films like Juno. So, yeah, it's a fine art.
Frankie

Postby Bardeyes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 am

AJMArks wrote:I might have mentioned it, but my two biggest pet peeves:

1. when a new person speaks, create a new paragraph.

If we see paragraphs with multiple people speaking, we will not host the story. It makes the story completely unreadable, and it's the main reason we reject anything. Usually the author will resubmit the story after that problem has been corrected. Some of those resubmitted works are actually quite popular on our site now.

AJMArks wrote:2. when transitioning between scenes create some sort of break, extra spacing, something to indicate that so I'm not suddenly trying to shift gears in the middle of a story.

We strongly recommend using something besides extra lines. Use dashes, asterisk, dots...whatever, just so long as you make it visible. An extra space or two in your word processor may be a clear break, but it may not be so clear online. In addition to that, we feel that is looks better if you center your break indicators, though if you DO center them, you must use the Center Paragraph feature in your word processors. Do not ever space over so the breaks kinda-sorta-mostly look like they are centered. Those extra spaces will vanish when converted to HTML. Also, when considering transition breaks, do not use an image.

Also, since I'm on the topic, paragraph breaks should be two (2) line breaks. Do not use the special paragraph line spacing that is a feature of your word processor. Remember...two line breaks. You'll make your Athenaeum hosts sooo much happier if you stick to that rule.

Another point to remember is that the only special formatting that will appear from you document is: bold, italics, underline, and centered text. Colored text will become monochrome, special fonts will become our standard font, larger fonts will become our standard font size. You may intent you paragraphs, but please remember that intending will not show up when it's converted to HTML - and we think it just looks bad online anyway.

If you absolutely must use other funky formatting such as strike through, subscript, or superscript you must tell us that your story contains that when you submit it, or - you guessed it - it will not show up online. If you must use something like a passage of Arabic or Russian, please tell us, or...well...you know the drill by now.
Bardeyes
Site Admin

Postby Norsebard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:24 am

Bardeyes, now that we're talking about the things that won't show up - do you know if these Scandinavian special characters will show up in the online version?

æ ø å Æ Ø Å

Not that I'm planning on using any of them at this particular moment in time, but who knows what the future brings :lol:

Norsebard
Norsebard

Postby Bardeyes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 am

Norsebard wrote:Bardeyes, now that we're talking about the things that won't show up - do you know if these Scandinavian special characters will show up in the online version?

æ ø å Æ Ø Å

Not that I'm planning on using any of them at this particular moment in time, but who knows what the future brings :lol:

Norsebard

Sure...just tell us that you are using them first. ;)

Have great weekend everyone,
Bardeyes
Bardeyes
Site Admin

Postby silverwriter01 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:36 pm

maddog wrote:Ok, I'm new here so, would now be a good time to mention how much I love and am glad that I found this site ? :blushing:

Happy to have you, maddog.

k_alexander wrote:You do have a point, Silver - I went to the same type of educational facility... However, it now also makes sense to me that this may be more prevalent in younger writers. It could perhaps be that they think using a more formal tone will make the writing seem more mature. I know that I once did this too :)

I once did that too. Then I realized I was not mature enough to know what mature means so I stopped.

k_alexander wrote:
Also, the factor of character comes into play in this. The way in which a character speaks (words, phrasing, grammar) is such an important tool to tell the reader what type of person they're dealing with - dictionese* makes it very generic and takes away a crucial aspect of storytelling. But that's just my opinion, and there's always the other side ;)

*For lack of a short but precise way of explaining the concept, I decided making up a word would do.

No one ever lets me get away for making up words, but I adore you for doing so, in a non-creepy stalkerish way of course :big grin:
Me - "Quiz time!"
Student - "I ain't going to lie to you. I didn't pay attention to anything you were doing up there."
silverwriter01

Postby AJMArks » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:02 am

Bardeye, this site does do a good job with my two biggest pet peeves. I'm also heavily involved in the Battlestar Galactica (classic) fanfiction and some sites are not as picky. It ruins a good story.

Speaking of dialogue I will say that a lot of times my characters' dialogue consists of fragments, but that's also how we speak so I ignore the grammar there. Of course you can love a story and hate the dialogue. I love ‘Lord of the Rings’, but to me all the characters spoke the same when reading the story (to me).
Simple as a flower, and that's a complicated thing!
AJMArks

Postby jumper23 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm

I do have a third, but is more personal and something just about every writer does, throwing their political attitude into the story. Example, The main characters are suddenly bashing Bush or Obama and it has nothing to do with the storyline.

dude. someone wrote a story where a character bashed obama?!
jumper23

Postby k_alexander » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:15 am

silverwriter01 wrote:I once did that too. Then I realized I was not mature enough to know what mature means so I stopped.

;) You know you're grown up when maturity seems overrated.

silverwriter01 wrote:No one ever lets me get away for making up words...

It's because I'm so gosh-darned-yippee-ki-yay cute.

silverwriter01 wrote:... but I adore you for doing so, in a non-creepy stalkerish way of course :big grin:

:laughing2: Cheque's in the mail, silver.
~Vita Sackville-West
k_alexander

Postby Irish Eyes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 am

k_alexander wrote:It's because I'm so gosh-darned-yippee-ki-yay cute.

Wow...that is some kind cute you got going on k... ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Irish Eyes

Postby silverwriter01 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:33 pm

jumper23 wrote:dude. someone wrote a story where a character bashed obama?!

Give it time Jumper. I'm sure someone out there is typing up one now.

Irish Eyes wrote:

I concur, Irish Eyes. What else do you get away with by being so darn cute K?
Me - "Quiz time!"
silverwriter01

Postby k_alexander » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:30 am

silverwriter01 wrote:
Irish Eyes wrote:

I concur, Irish Eyes. What else do you get away with by being so darn cute K?

:batting_eyelashes:
Weeeeeeell... I get away with an outdated shaggy hippy hairstyle, jeans when the work dress code is expressly business, flirting badly with complete strangers, being loved by old ladies in spite of my tattoos (I'm a senior citizen magnet and I love it - except when it's a grey old man who tries to pat my bottom...), complete and utter absent-mindedness, and huddling in my study for hours on end into the morning to hammer at the keyboard. Or to write.

It's a hard life, but I figure someone has to do it.
~Vita Sackville-West
k_alexander

Postby silverwriter01 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

k_alexander wrote: :batting_eyelashes:
Weeeeeeell... I get away with an outdated shaggy hippy hairstyle, jeans when the work dress code is expressly business, flirting badly with complete strangers, being loved by old ladies in spite of my tattoos (I'm a senior citizen magnet and I love it - except when it's a grey old man who tries to pat my bottom...), complete and utter absent-mindedness, and huddling in my study for hours on end into the morning to hammer at the keyboard. Or to write.

It's a hard life, but I figure someone has to do it.

Anybody ever tell you're too cute for your own good? ;)

Aww, you spell it grey :love struck:

Old men love me for some reason. I swear I don't know why. I'm not some cute young blonde with a summer dress on. Rather butch looking and they still love me. But none of them has every tried to pat my bottom... :shock:
Me - "Quiz time!"
silverwriter01

Postby kali_blue » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm

I've hesitated to write this one, but after just reading another story in the last 30 days that made no sense I had say something. What does the fact that someone is Christian have to do with anything and why is that a quality that makes someone attractive? I get that if I'm a reading an x-mas story there is likely to be religion and sharing a common experience may be desirable. But I'm not getting the assumptions.

I enjoyed My Sister's Keeper by Mavis Applewater and there are some stories that I've read that someone's faith is important to the story -whatever their religion. Soul searching can make for a good story. My point is not to disrespect anyone's religion. I'm not trying to disrepect a new writer, but OMG WTF was Shadows about... :i_don't_know: The writer was clearing trying to tell me something but I have no idea what. I was just confused.

I totally couldn't figure out why Alex Tryst's alternative Original/Uber novel Queen of My Country, Queen of My Heart III: The Peoples Princess moved a monarchy that was not based on religion back on to it. Part 3's story was okay, but I had enjoyed that parts 1 & 2 and appreciated that there was a separation of church & state and now part 3 changed that. Is this a trend? Xena isn't about religion yes there are gods & goddesses but its not core. Aphrodite just is & appears. I'm not sure what the peeve is exactly, but the stories irked me in some fundamental way.

Kali
kali_blue

Postby k_alexander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:59 am

silverwriter01 wrote: Anybody ever tell you're too cute for your own good? ;)

:laughing2: Sure. It's usually followed by "But you're getting older, and soon cute won't cut it anymore, my friend!" Pfffft. Bitterness is soooooooo unattractive.

silverwriter01 wrote:Aww, you spell it grey :love struck:

That I do :blushing: My beta had to go through Deus with a fine-toothed comb - I'd set the language as English (US) but certain things do still slip through! I think you mentioned the word bonnet elsewhere? Yep. Did that too.

silverwriter01 wrote: Old men love me for some reason. I swear I don't know why. I'm not some cute young blonde with a summer dress on. Rather butch looking and they still love me. But none of them has every tried to pat my bottom... :shock:

The benefit is that they move slowly, and if they do catch up, a good kick to the ... Zimmer... will slow them down.

kali_blue wrote:I've hesitated to write this one, but after just reading another story in the last 30 days that made no sense I had say something. What does the fact that someone is Christian have to do with anything and why is that a quality that makes someone attractive? I get that if I'm a reading an x-mas story there is likely to be religion and sharing a common experience may be desirable. But I'm not getting the assumptions... I'm not sure what the peeve is exactly, but the stories irked me in some fundamental way.
Kali

Kali, I totally understand this peeve. It falls into the same category as AJ Marks's regarding political posturing etc. I don't want to get into a discussion regarding religion, as I invariably get into trouble (and it's not worth it), but I treat those stories as I would anything dealing very exclusively with something I don't relate to - I stop reading. The assumption that pervades this type of thing, and gets up my nose, is that goodness of spirit can only come through religion.
Objectively I can understand that if you are a very religious person, you probably do bring it into everything you do, writing included. And that's your prerogative. Subjectively, it just isn't my cup of tea.
~Vita Sackville-West
k_alexander

Postby Bardeyes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:13 am

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

k_alexander wrote:
kali_blue wrote:I've hesitated to write this one, but after just reading another story in the last 30 days that made no sense I had say something. What does the fact that someone is Christian have to do with anything and why is that a quality that makes someone attractive? I get that if I'm a reading an x-mas story there is likely to be religion and sharing a common experience may be desirable. But I'm not getting the assumptions... I'm not sure what the peeve is exactly, but the stories irked me in some fundamental way.
Kali

Kali, I totally understand this peeve. It falls into the same category as AJ Marks's regarding political posturing etc. I don't want to get into a discussion regarding religion, as I invariably get into trouble (and it's not worth it), but I treat those stories as I would anything dealing very exclusively with something I don't relate to - I stop reading. The assumption that pervades this type of thing, and gets up my nose, is that goodness of spirit can only come through religion.
Objectively I can understand that if you are a very religious person, you probably do bring it into everything you do, writing included. And that's your prerogative. Subjectively, it just isn't my cup of tea.

We apologize for erring in categorizing this story. This is not an alternative tale. It should more properly be called a Romantic Friendship. That has been corrected.

I’m going to chime in with K. – I don’t want to get into a discussion about religion either. Ok, maybe I want to a little bit, but I’ll stop myself. I tend to get the religiously devoted rather...annoyed with my commentary. :twisted: That said, I personally don’t think the author was pushing the idea that goodness of spirit can only be gained through religion, though that seemed to be true for those two characters. WebWarrior and I did enjoy the story – though I was hoping for a bit for a different ending. :daydreaming: The ending did work for the characters that had been developed though.

I also would like add a tiny cautionary reminder to keep the criticism of specific stories and authors to a bare minimum.

Oh...and remember the spoiler alerts when necessary.
Bardeyes
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Discussion