Last Updated: August 30th, 2016
What we accept:
What we will not accept:
- Original lesbian fiction and general fiction
- Fan fiction from all realms (Xena, Star Trek, CSI, Stargate SG1, Buffy, etc.)
- Erotica with some exceptions -
The story must be more than just an excuse to write an explicit sex scene. If there is zero character development and no emotional content, it will not be accepted. If the sex takes up more the half the story, it will not be accepted. In this genre, we're now looking for tales that are believable, artfully crafted with an interesting premise and skillfully woven eroticism.
Formatting your work: (Updated)
- Nonconsensual sex portrayed as erotic in any way - even if it's in a dream sequence. To put this as clearly as we can: No Rape Porn/Erotica! This includes, but is not limited to, scenes where one partner is unwilling or forced at the start, but eventually begins to enjoy it, as well as erotically portraying the rape of a slave. We will not accept any works that portrays rape as anything but a serious crime.
This has been a long time requirement for hosting a story on The Athenaeum and is an issue of great importance to us.
Before you send us your work:
- Please do not pre-format your story into HTML without contacting us first.
- If your work is complete, please send it as a single document. If your story is quite long, you may break it up into several sections, but please don't break it into pieces smaller than 50,000 words each. If you wish to submit a story in parts or chapters as you are writing it, you may. If you edit the story after it's posted in parts, and wish to send us an updated version, please send us the new version in one part as stated for a completed stories above.
What you need to include in the story.
- Check the spelling on your entire story.
- Have an beta reader or editor read it if at all possible.
How to send us a story: (Updated)
- The title.
- Your pen name.
Please remember that employers nearly always check the Internet before hiring! Using a pen name also prevents fans that are a little too fanatical about your work from becoming a problem outside of the Internet. Maintaining privacy online is difficult enough, please don't give it up without understanding the consequences!
- E-mail address feedback or comments. (Optional)
- If the story takes place in a specific fan universe let us know. (Xena, Stargate SG1, CSI, Tolkien, etc.)
- A Disclaimer is required if any of your characters are owned by someone else.
- A Content Warning is required if your story contains extreme violence and/or non-consensual sex.
- Optionally, you may include other information about your story such as genre, cast, or any episodes that your story relates to.
- We highly recommend you including a teaser or description of your story. This will usually get the story to the target audience faster.
- Use .DOC, .DOCX, .RTF, .ODT, .WPD, .HTML (contact us first), or as a very last resort .TXT format.
Please contact us before you send your story. We can be reached though our contact page. Please do not send stories to our previous WebWarrior and Bardeyes accounts.
Questions, comments, kudos, chocolate brownies, complaints, requests for more info? See our contact info below.
- When you send us a story we assume that you are agreeing to the above requirements. As a privately owned website, we always reserve the right to decide what does and does not go onto our site. For works that we don't post, most often we will give some constructive criticism; in many instances where this has happened the writer has resubmitted at a later date a substantially improved version that we've been happy to post. We'll never tell you what not to write, just if it meets our guidelines for posting on our site. This is supposed to be an enjoyable pursuit and we encourage you to write what you enjoy and share it.
"The Athenaeum @ xenafiction.net" Copyright ©1998-2016
The contents of this web site may not be reproduced in any form without written permission from the authors.
Bardeyes and WebWarrior may be reached through our contact page.
or Messaged on Facebook